Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Motivation Tricks

If you're struggling to find that motivation you need to start moving, here's a post for you! Pulled from this very helpful website, here are 10 ways to boost your motivation!

1. Sign up for an event! This is a great way to keep you accountable for multiple reasons ... you won't want to cancel on someone if you're doing it together and most likely you had to pay for the event. If you're looking for something to do, I signed up for a Zumbathon in Huntington on March 14. You can learn more about the event here.

2. Try a shorter workout. You don't need to spend hours in the gym! Find something that works for your body and your schedule. I personally love my 21 Day Fix workouts because I can do them in my room and they only last 30 minutes, BUT I am sweating by the end of it and feel my body working. 

3. Turn up the tunes! If you're doing your own program where you can listen to your iPod, do it! Make yourself a playlist that motivates you to keep going. Pinterest has hundreds of playlists for different types of exercise.

4. Try something new! If you're tired of previous workouts or don't enjoy them, you should really think about finding something that excites you! Ask your friends, search the web... I'm sure you'll find something that sparks your interest. My favorite fix workout right now is my Pilates fix! Have you tried it? Seriously, it's a workout but also relaxing at the same time. 

5. Track your progress. This can be with the scales, with measuring tape, with gauging your flexibility, with your distance -- whatever you can use to see improvements! I will post later this week about setting goals, so keep checking back for that!

6. Pencil in your workouts. I know I've mentioned this before, but it's so true! Make your workouts a part of your day just as you would work meetings, cooking supper for your family or doing homework. 

7. Visualize. The cliche saying is "Your body will do anything, it's your mind that holds you back." See yourself getting through your workout, see yourself healthier. Imagine what you're working towards!

8. Grab a friend. Make exercising a part of your friendships and relationships. Instead of binge watching Netflix and eating candy, spend some time walking around the neighborhood or trying workouts at home or new classes at the local gym. Bringing extra people into the equation keeps you more accountable!

9. Find your mantra. My mantra changes from week to week. I have weekly motivational pictures on the right hand side of this blog. Find something that speaks to you and keeps you focused on your goals. 

10. Rest. I do not personally have rest days, but I have a low-key Yoga Fix on Sundays which is considered an active recovery day. It stretches all my muscles back out to prepare my body for the upcoming workouts. Depending on your exercise program, a rest day might be encouraged or required. Do your research and don't injure yourself!

As I mentioned in a previous post, you have to find your motivation and be ready to make changes in order to follow through with your healthy goals. Remember the stages of change, everything needs to be prepared for and built upon. Create a list of strengths and barriers that will enable and prohibit you to reach your goals. This can keep you on track by being aware of what you will face with each step.


I followed some of these tricks this morning when struggling to begin my work-out. I slept in until 9am and was worried about fitting in my 30 minute Upper Fix. I decided to try a new, shorter workout available with my fix. There is a 10 Minute Ab Fix that I can use in place of any workout if I'm short on time, or I can add it to the end of other workouts. Holy cow - It was only 10 minutes, but my abs were on fire! I am planning on completing my Upper Fix tonight after I get home from class. 

Again, I prepared a substantial breakfast and my lunch box is packed to the brim with goodies for my whole day on campus.

Breakfast
4 slices turkey bacon (1 red)
2 scrambled eggs (1 red)
Steel cut oatmeal (1 yellow)
1/2 banana (1 purple)
green tea

Lunch
Leftover Chicken Tortilla Soup (book counts it as 1 yellow and 1 blue since it's cream based)
2 corn tortillas (1 yellow)
Carrots (1 green)

Snack
Sunflower seeds (1 orange)
Peach and yogurt parfait (1 purple, 1 red)

Supper
Turkey Spaghetti (1 yellow, 1 red, 1 green)
Roasted veggies (1 green)

Post Workout
Apple and cinnamon (1 purple)


No comments:

Post a Comment