Thursday, February 12, 2015

Thirsty Thursday Tips

Happy Thursday everyone! I'm so excited to be reunited with some friends on Saturday to celebrate Mardi Gras! We signed up for a Mardi Gras Bar Crawl in Downtown Indy. It was a steal - only $7 for drink specials, cover charges and Mardi Gras goodies. However, ever since I signed up I have been nervous about possibly throwing all my progress out the window. I found a helpful website via Pinterest (go figure) so I thought I'd share some Helpful Hints with you! 

1. Don't skip eating to "make room" for drinks
This is important because alcohol typically makes your blood-sugar level rise which will make you have the drunk munchies once you get home. It is recommended to have a full meal with protein, fiber and healthy fat so your body's digestion doesn't get messed up. I am planning on having a solid breakfast and lunch and also packing some snacks in my purse. I also will try to make the *healthiest* decisions if we do end up eating out by trying to stay within my container limits.

2. Don't drink beverages that will make you more hungry
Keep it simple. Drinks with lots of ingredients and sugars are going to be harder for your body to manage. I'm planning on sticking to one type of drink the entire crawl - alcohol/water/lime. This way I won't have added calories from juices or pop.

3. Stick to 1 or 2 drinks
Okay, this probably won't happen so I'm not even going to say I'm going to try this... BUT I am going to try and take it slow and allow my body to metabolize throughout the day/evening. 

4. Be prepared for the ravenous hangover cravings
The article suggests drinking water throughout the night since your body will go into dehydration mode. It also suggests to have a protein and fiber dense snack before going to sleep so you don't wake up craving that greasy burger and fries. I will try and battle this by packing food for the weekend and having my "go-to" snacks. 

Well kids, those are the 4 simple rules for drinking without destroying all the progress you've made. I also made a new Pinterest board that features Low Calorie Alcoholic Beverages

Cheers to having fun, being social but still sticking to our fitness goals!





No comments:

Post a Comment